Prairie State Legal Services, Inc. is a not-for-profit legal aid organization that provides civil legal aid services to the poor, elderly, and people with disabilities. Prairie State has 12 offices serving 36 counties throughout northern and central Illinois. We focus services on legal problems that impact the ability of our clients to meet their basic human needs, including physical safety, access to healthcare, adequate housing, and similar needs. Prairie State is the only legal aid organization in the majority of our service area. Annually, we handle over 22,000 applications for legal help and serve over 16,000 clients. We currently generate approximately 7% of our funding through charitable giving, and seek to significantly increase this percentage through active efforts to increase private support. The organization has excellent fiscal controls and is rated a 4-Star Charity by Charity Navigator. More information is available on our website at www.pslegal.org.
The Manager of Community Support reports to the Director of Development, and will be primarily responsible for coordinating and supporting the efforts of the local fundraising committees and staff for each of our 12 Prairie State offices. The Manager of Community Support will need to develop strong and active local groups with sizable, informed membership, provide clear plans and tools for groups to utilize, and develop fundraising skills and knowledge of local members and staff.
• Recruiting, developing, and supporting local fundraising committees
• Establishing and communicating local fundraising goals
• Providing fundraising training for local committees and staff
• Coordinating special fundraising appeals and tailored proposals (for local efforts)
• Assisting in creating the case for support, special giving opportunities and related tools (for local efforts)
• Donor relations with assigned prospects
• Coordination of fundraising efforts with local office staff (with support from Development Coordinator)
• Local donor relationship-building activities/events
• Special event coordination with local committees
• Staff giving efforts on the local level
• Community/local business/corporate fundraising: research, relationship-building, tailored solicitations
• Prospect identification (for local efforts)
• Analysis/evaluation of local fundraising strategies
Salary and Benefits
Salary for this full-time position starts at $50,000 per year, higher depending on experience. PSLS offers an excellent comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, retirement, training and education, and generous paid leave time including parental leave.
• Bachelor’s degree and 1-3 years of relevant experience
• Excellent computer skills including proficiency using Microsoft Office Suite and Google Suite
• Demonstrated experience in meeting fundraising goals
• Strong leadership, organizational, and communications skills
• Proven ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with board members, volunteers, donors and staff
• Understanding of and experience working within the legal community preferred
• Proficiencies in fundraising software (Raiser’s Edge and RE NXT) and project management software (Asana) preferred
• A solid understanding of and commitment to the mission and philosophy of Prairie State
Please indicate “ Manager of Community Support” in the subject line and email a letter explaining your interest and experience, resume, three references, and a short writing sample (no more than 10 pages) to:
Resumes accepted until position is filled
Prairie State Legal Services is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. We will recruit, employ, pay, and promote qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or any other legally protected status.