Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota is seeking to hire a Director of Major and Planned Giving for our
Minneapolis campus. This position will serve as a trusted philanthropic advisor and member of the senior
leadership team. This individual manages a team of advancement professionals and is responsible for
advancing the development, implementation, marketing and management of a major and planned giving
program for the university as well as provide guidance and oversight to the university grants program. In
addition to their management and personal portfolio responsibilities, the director of development will work
closely with deans and directors in engaging them in the advancement process through identifying,
cultivating, and soliciting potential benefactors. Significant travel is required and the cultivation and
solicitation of major and planned gifts from prospective benefactors is a top priority.
Essential duties include, but are not limited to:
- Serve as a trusted philanthropic advisor; Meet individual fundraising and contact goals;
Manage a portfolio of prospects including identification, qualification, cultivation, and
solicitation of major outright and planned gifts while traveling as needed in fulfillment of
these duties. (70%)
- Manage a team of approximately five (5) advancement professionals (20%)
- Work collaboratively with internal deans and directors and provide guidance and support
with advisory councils and programmatic specific solicitations (10%)
Essential Skills and Functions include, but are not limited:
- A career history of commitment to the highest professional and ethical standards including
- Proven ability to interact with varied constituencies in a collegial and professional manner.
- Ability to meet performance goals while working in a remote environment.
- Demonstrates multicultural competence – the awareness, knowledge, and skills needed to work
with others who are culturally different from self in meaningful, relevant, and productive ways. The
incumbent is expected to support the mission of the University through their work with faculty,
staff, students, and alumni and friends of the university.
To view the full job description, please visit: Director of Major and Planned Giving 323
Apply online at https://hive.smumn.edu/about/offices/human-resources/employment-opportunities and
please include a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references.
Saint Mary’s offers a comprehensive benefit package including health, dental, vision, life and disability
insurance, flexible spending, retirement pension plan, and both undergraduate and graduate tuition
remission plans. Salary range: $80,000 – $110,000.